Tuesday, November 22, 2016

What's the Value to You?


This is an activity I do with students in my Marketing Principles class at Chippewa Valley Technical College. Need, want, and benefit determine the value we place on a product or service.

The catch is, value also has everything to do with our social media. Our followers engage with our accounts - Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, SnapChat, whatever - for the value we provide them. If we stop providing value, we become irrelevant and they stop following.

Providing value is easier than you may think. Let's say I want to promote haircuts at my salon. I could publish a post about a sale or maybe cool new cuts. That would garner interest. BUT, if we want to take it to the next level and add value, we turn that post into something like, "Holidays are hard on all of us. One way we can survive is knowing we have the sassiest hair in the room. Show off your style to those annoying relatives with a new 'do. Make your appointment today by calling or texting 715-XXX-XXXX."

The post has personality, relatability, a little humor, plants a seed of need and want, and it provided direct contact information. Most of all, I didn't make the post about me and my salon. I made it about my followers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment