Wednesday, May 20, 2015

You're Still the One

Graphic from Michael Stelzner's
keynote presentation.
The amazing Michael Stelzner of Social Media Examiner gave an interesting keynote at Social Media Marketing World this year. One thing he shared is that according to the 2015 Social Media Marketing Industry Report67% of all marketers want to learn more about Facebook. Still. Still, after all these years? Why is that?

Any Google search will produce a plethora (love that word) of results if you type in 'Facebook tips and tricks.' Reading those articles is one thing, truly applying them to our social media activities is another.

I'm a digital marketing instructor at an exceptional technical college. Each semester I usher in new students to my Social Media Marketing course. Many of the students enter with the attitude of, "I totally know social media, there is nothing this lady can teach me." (I may have added the 'totally' part because I AM a product of the 80s.) It doesn't take my students long to realize there is so much to learn when it comes to using Facebook both personally and professionally. And, I'm blessed to have students that truly embrace the learning experience.

The greatest understanding they leave with is the understanding that social media isn't a strategy or a tactic, it's a mindset. We have to constantly be in the mindset of engaging our readers, likers, followers, tweople, etc. I think that's what marketers are wanting to learn more about - using the Engage, Entertain, and Inform Strategy™ in a way that truly reaches their audiences; to get the honest critiquing of what they could do better or differently; and to have the freedom to make some mistakes and learn from them.

Am I right? Is that what marketers want to learn about Facebook?

No comments:

Post a Comment