Thursday, August 19, 2010

What do you mean 'it's not all about me'?

As much as I like everything in life to be all about me, there are times when I have to come to terms with the fact that it is not.

Using social media is one of those times. I like Facebook and Twitter; they are my fave social media tools. However, many of my clients and followers, like you, are new to social media. You may value your privacy on Facebook (yay you!) or just not get into Twitter. That is when I have to put you first. Where are you at? What are you comfortable using? What makes you feel engaged and valued?

My professionals like LinkedIn. For some of my library peeps, it is connecting with me on LibraryThing. For my fellow wine 'tasters,' it's Cork'd. Educators, I can connect with many of you on Classroom 2.0 because it is one of the few social networks schools don't block. For others still, it may be traditional e-mail or telephone calls.

If you and your organiztion don't like social media and have decided not to do it, you really are missing out on an invaluable opportunity to reach your people on mediums they feel comfortable using.

No comments:

Post a Comment