Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Pusher or Sharer?

Do we want to be Pushers or Sharers? For the chatty type like myself, it is easy to reply 'Sharer!' I love it when my followers join in the conversation by posting their own thoughts, questions, concerns, and experiences. Everyone learns from that.

For companies who are driven by a bottom-line, it is really challenging to reply 'Sharer.' It is your job to sell products and services and to meet quotas. With social media, however, we all have to move from Pushers to Sharers if we want to earn and retain our followings.

Starting the conversation about a product, service, or experience allows us to be Sharers while offering information about what we can do/provide. If we get too pushy, we lose the engagement and the following. Sometimes, it is even best if we let our followers respond to others' questions and concerns. It is great to see our products and services be sold by those whose respect and loyalty we have earned.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Laurie,
    I believe what most "corporate pushers" miss big time is the fact most people will react more receptively to an offer that is shared rather than pushed at them. Especially today in the online world where we are often suffering from info overload! As a banquet speaker it's my friends who "SHARE" my blog or website that leads to gigs. I know how I respond when someone or some thing is pushed at me. I shut down my heart and retreat into non-activity. Great thought provoking topic my dear. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree more Mike! Thanks so much for commenting.

    ReplyDelete