Thursday, April 8, 2010

I'm Trying My Hardest

I'm trying my hardest to like FourSquare and Gowalla. These two location-based social networking sites have been rising through the ranks and were named the up-and-comers at this year's Social Media Conference. BUT, I'm still trying to like them - or at least one of them.

My issue comes with privacy. I love social media and I love teaching social media workshops even more. That does not, however, mean that I do not enjoy and deeply value my personal privacy. The site www.pleaserobme.com debuted as a stream of updates from various location-based sites showing when users check-in somewhere that is not their home. The idea, of course, is that if we are not home, criminals are invited to rob us. Granted, the site has become socially responsible and has replaced the stream with their theme "raising awareness about over-sharing," but the fact remains that we need to be responsible and accountable for our actions online.

Foursquare and Gowalla can be highly valuable marketing tools for businesses, which we will talk about in future posts, but for now, remember to be careful what you share and with whom you share it.

This graphic is complements of Mashable. Check out Shane Snow's excellent post on Foursquare vs. Gowalla at http://mashable.com/2009/12/25/foursquare-gowalla/.

1 comment:

  1. I attended the social media conference at Florian Gardens sponsored by the Chamber in mid March--loved it. I'm in marketing at a continuing education company here in town and we would really like to talk with you about how to organize our social media efforts. Please contact me at 715-552-9526 or 715-839-8055. I look forward to hearing from you. Cyndi Postlewaite.

    ReplyDelete