Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Human Connection

I had the pleasure of presenting a Social Media 101 workshop at the Menomonie Public Library yesterday. The workshop covers the basics of what social media is, why we should care, The Big 3: Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn, and how to protect your privacy. The workshop had a delightful and engaged audience. During one portion, one of the participants brought up a crucial point. She said, "With all of this social media and technology, I feel we are losing the importance of human contact." I could not agree more.

I am a social butterfly and anyone who knows me can attest to that fact. Nothing will ever replace human connection for me. I have had the misfortune of dealing with schwarmy people and giving my naive trust to undeserving people, as I am sure many of you have. With life experience and wisdom, it is increasingly important for me to have human contact to establish a relationship and determine if someone is worthy of my trust.

With this said, it is no wonder human connection is a cruical part of marketing. If I trust you, if I respect you, if I recognize you, if I enjoy your company, I am more likely to frequent your business, to participate in your programs, to advocate for your services, to donate to your cause, to follow you on Facebook or Twitter, and to tell my friends about you.

Use your human connections to encourage your friends, family, patrons, clients, and advocates to join you in your marketing efforts and follow you on Facebook or Twitter. You have relationships with them, so value their feedback in how it is working for them.

You can see the Social Media 101 presentation at: http://www.slideshare.net/LaurieBoettcher. You can also follow me on Twitter at laurieboettcher or become a fan of Laurie Boettcher Speaks.

3 comments:

  1. While I participate in various social media sites and do understand their value, nothing bothers me more than their use of the term "friend." I'm worried that future generations may not really know what a friend is based on social media's use of the term. I remember a presentation to librarians by a social media guru several years ago. He used the example of his son's 500+ "friends" on MySpace and his ability to mobilize these people over an issue. While the use of this social media example was great, the audacity of thinking these 500+ are friends was bothersome. I'd love to see a push to develop a different and more accurate language for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent idea Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the pleasure of hosting Laurie Boettcher at the Menomonie Public Library Social Media 101 workshop, and it was great! Laurie has enough professional savvy and life experience to understand that new communication tools are just that--tools. She is bright, she is candid, and she understands the value of human relationships. Whether you are just dipping your toes into the social media pool, or are a long-time user of Twitter, Facebook, and other applications, she is sure to engage workshop participants and make them think about how to make communication tools work for them, and enhance human relationships. Joleen Sterk - Menomonie Public Library

    ReplyDelete