Thursday, December 17, 2009

What I've Learned From Libraries

The latest buzz on Twitter, what all of the social media gurus are talking about, is the need to be more authentic and human - how to deal with our patrons more personally. 

This seriously made me laugh out loud. One of the many, many things I have learned from working with the fabulous libraries in our System is that librarians don't get any more real or personable. Ya'all have that market cornered. 

Some library directors know more about their patrons than their doctors, shrinks, and pastors combined.  Every day, you fight for the rights of your community to have the access owed to them through their tax dollars. Access to all of the materials they could dream of, computers and wi-fi, research and reference materials that would cost anyone without a library card a ton of money, and fun and engaging programs.

So, although I will continue on my quest in encouraging you to grasp the reigns of social media and ride, your element of personalism cannot be denied or replaced. Keep this character on your Facebook Fan Page, in your Tweets, and all of your marketing materials. People build relationships with people.

I am leaving IFLS the end of January, but will continue to advocate for libraries and teach workshops here and there. Those of you who subscribe to my blog, I will continue to be a cheerleader for your efforts and hope to give you new and inspiring ideas.


Happy Holidays!



No comments:

Post a Comment